In this post, I am going to show you how to leverage ChatGPT and similar generative AI tools to get an accountant job.
These tips work even if you are new to ChatGPT. For each of them, I have included sample prompts that is optimized to help you get the most out of the chat bot.
Want to learn more ways to leverage AI in Finance? Read more posts like this here.
1. Ask ChatGPT to Review Your Resume
In addition to asking ChatGPT to proofread your resume (spelling, grammar and punctuation check), you can ask ChatGPT to critique your resume based on the kind of role you are looking for. For example, if you are looking for a Senior Accountant role, go on LinkedIn or Indeed and copy a couple of job descriptions you are interested in.
Feed your resume and the job desciprtions into ChatGPT and give it the following prompt:
Based on these job descriptions for a [Job Title] role, please analyze my resume. Highlight any areas where my skills and experience align with the requirements of these positions. Also, identify any gaps or areas for improvement and suggest ways I can tweak my resume to better match these specific job descriptions.
JOB DESCRIPTION (1):
JOB DESCRIPTION (2):
Additional Prompts Used to Level Up Resume
- Can you suggest any specific revision to my resume so it is more suitable for roles such as these?
- Can you help revise my resume to align with Senior Accountant roles? I’m looking for specific edits in wording and structure to enhance its appeal for these positions
- Can you help me rephrase these job duties to better align with the roles I am applying to? Return them in the same bullet point format.
- Could you rephrase the job duties on my resume to better fit Senior Accountant roles? Focus on making them concise and industry-relevant.
2. Ask ChatGPT to Research The Companies You Are Interviewing With
While you are not expected to know everything about the company, showing up to an interview (including the initial HR screening call) without a clue what the company is about is a red flag. In fact, I know HR and hiring managers who would not consider candidates for next step if they came unprepared this way. The good news is, unless the company you are interviewing for has zero online presence, ChatGPT can be your research assistant as well. Simply provide ChatGPT with the following prompt:
Based on the job description below for the [Job Title] at [Company Name], please gather key information online about the company. Focus on their financial status, recent news, industry standing, and any specific accounting practices or software they might use. Also, include insights on company culture and values, which will help me tailor my interview responses to align with their expectations and demonstrate my thorough preparation. Be concise and use bullet points whenever possible.
Additional Prompts Used to Research Company
- Can you explain in layman’s term what [Company Name] does?
- What else should I know about [Company Name]considering the role I am interviewing for?
- Any recent news about [Company Name] such as layoff or big customer announcement? If so, include sources for me to verify.
- [ChatGPT Free] is able to provtde data up until Sep 2021 (as of Feb 1, 2024)
- [ChatGPT Pro] is able to search the internet
3. Ask ChatGPT to Do A Mock Interview
If interviews scare you, know that you are not alone. However, practice makes perfect. Even though I believe doing a mock interview with another human being is a much closer experience to the actual interview, asking ChatGPT to do a mock interview (or 10) allows you to practice and craft your answers. Being able to communicate effectively is a soft skil that is highly valued as an accountant.
Again, feed your resume and a couple of job descriptions into ChatGPT and give it the following prompt:
Using my resume and these job descriptions, please conduct a mock interview with me where you simulate an actual job interview. Ask me one question, I will respond and then you can provide fedback on my answers, suggest improvements where needed to ensure they align with the expectations of these roles. Focus on questions that assess both my technical accounting skills and soft skills, such as communication and problem-solving.
JOB DESCRIPTION (1):
JOB DESCRIPTION (2):
4. Ask ChatGPT to Craft Your Follow-Up and Thank You Emails
I know, there is a debate on whether or not a follow-up or thank you email is necessary after an interview. My recommendation is to do so unless you have a compelling reason not to (e.g., I have gotten call backs for next step shortly after the interview where there was no gap for follow up). Politeness rarely hurts.
These emails can sometimes be daunting to craft as you want to make sure they are as perfect as they can be. Fortunately, ChatGPT can assist in crafting these emails if you provide relevant details like interview context and tone in your prompt:
Draft a follow-up email for my interview for the [Job Title] position at [Company Name]. Include a reference to our discussion on [Specific Topic or Detail Discussed, e.g., accounting framework, software, etc.]. The email should be concise, professional, and demonstrate my relevant experience and keen interest in the role.
Additional Prompts Used to Craft Follow Up Emails
- Write a professional email to Trulioo inquiring about the decision timeline for the [Job Title], mentioning I have an offer from [Company Name #2] but [Company Name #1] is my preferred choice.
- Proofread and provide feedback on a casual follow-up email about the [Job Title] position at [Company Name], mentioning another job offer and requesting an update on their decision timeline.
5. Ask ChatGPT to Help You Negotiate & Maybe Choose Between Job Offers
After more applications and interviews than you can count, the time has come to discuss your offer(s). Whether you have one or more than one offer, the objective is the same: to accept the best offer possible. Now, you do have to first define what the best offer means to you personally: compensation, benefits, working arrangement, industry, growth opportunities etc (ask ChatGPT if you need to brainstorm ideas).
Before you take any offer as is, make sure you negotiate up. Keep in mind that base compensation is not the only factor here. Think vacation time, equities, bonus structure, work-from-home arrangement, tuition reimbursement. I have even seen a designated parking spot being negotiated in a prime downtown area.
So, for each initial offer, you should provide ChatGPT with the following prompt:
Based on the initial offer I’ve received for [Job Title] at [Company Name], which includes [details of the offer such as salary, vacation days, bonus structure, etc.], I would like to negotiate for better terms. Specifically, I want to discuss [aspects you want to negotiate, e.g., a higher base salary, more vacation days, remote work options]. Please help me draft a negotiation email or script. In this, include my key strengths and achievements [list your relevant accomplishments or skills here], and how they align with the company’s goals, to make a compelling case for my requested terms.
If you have difficulty choosing between your negotiated offers, below is an excellent prompt you can use to help you come to the decision:
Between my two offers below, I’m evaluating based on [your key priorities, e.g., salary, benefits, work-life balance]. Please compare these offers. I need insights on which aligns better with priorities and my career goal.